Sunday, 18 January 2015

20, 000 Days On Earth and Push The Sky Away.



Hello blog, I'm trying to fall back in love with you. I've started to sleep like a normal human (reads as ‘at night’). While applying for a job I wasn't sure about, ‘him indoors’ was made redundant, serendipitous I hear you say, then someone edited a poem I wrote rather madly drunk and my heart didn’t break; I actually liked what he did. I decided to try Spotify which led me to listening to ‘Push The Sky Away’ properly. It was on the ‘to do vinyl list’ after watching '20, 000 Days on Earth' and leaving a bit I wrote on it in drafts. So here’s a mash up.


'20 000 Days on Earth' was made during the recording of Nick Cave’s 2013 album ‘Push The Sky Away’, yes it’s taken me a while to catch up but 2014 was a funny old year. Anyway, enough of the excuses, this is Nick Cave in a fictional day in the life of Nick Cave. Okay.  What stood out in the first few minutes for me was the reference to ‘crooked versions’, for me it was like a walk through a house of distorted mirrors. There’s flashes of reality but a little obscured, caricatured and confused. Nick talks of cannibalised marriage, tip tapping away day and night on a typewriter in Brighton where it is mostly cold and raining…but at times is shot beautifully through a soft lens looking glass?

There are snippets of the music he’s recording in reality, most notable ‘Push The Sky Away’ and an epic ending with ‘Jubilee Street’ which when I watched the film initially, looked a little concert DVD-ish, but having listened to the album now and listened properly, it’s showing his interaction and picking out of that all important front row (as discussed with Kylie Minogue, his only passenger that sits in the back of the car, make of that what you will).

We see Nick talking to a psychologist. Being asked about the first time he saw a naked woman, being dressed in women’s clothes and the biggy, his father. The silent witness that read him ‘Lolita’ as a child. Ick. He’s only acting though isn't he?  He talks to Ray Winstone about wanting to change or not change yourself. There’s some amusing anecdotes about a Nina Simone gig, god knows if it really happened or not but it’s all quite interesting and they look all look so swish in their suits. Here's 'Jubilee street', the gruffalo 'Ray' himself co-stars with a prostitute. Nick sashays up and down the street looking non-commital.


Quote time: “It’s your limitations that probably make you the wonderful disaster you are”. Yes, this made sense. We all need collaborators, to be edited; sure as hell some of my blog posts could do with it. My favourite passenger was Blixa Bargeld, and the tension in that car at that point. How their songs should have been halved to the back drop of ‘Higgs Boson Blues’.

Next up is the Nick Cave 'museum of shit, important shit'. This is his childhood, his teen years, his early band days, all in a decade of which he has little memory due to the drugs and the church going that he is warned will kill him by his beautiful wife, Susie. A woman that caught him by embodying every erotic fantasy he’s ever had, no bloody wonder she spends so much time in the cannibalistic marriage in Nick’s cooking pot (jumping back to few first minutes of the film) Reminds me a little of a cooler version of my jar of happiness.


It all ends on the beach at Brighton. No Fatboy Slim, thank fuck for that. I did say I was going to mention the album. Its bloody good, every song. My favourites are in no particular order, ‘We Know Who U R’, ‘Water’s Edge’, ‘Mermaids’ and the title track ‘Push The Sky Away’. I think I’ve said enough now. Here’s ‘Mermaids’: killer lyric “I was the match that would fire up her snatch”. Kills me every time. How does he get away with it? 






And in VERY exciting other news, I have Morrissey tickets! Cross all your fingers and toes for me that he doesn't cancel. 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to blogger!
    I said 'Hi' to Nick Cave when I lived in Bury St. Edmunds. He was walking down Abbeygate Street with his daughter (?) Really nice bloke. Looking forward to the movie :)

    ReplyDelete