Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Miike Snow, Lykke Li, Me And My Drummer and Purity Ring

Miike Snow ft Lykke Li – Black Tin Box



Time for music again, ignoring the beeb’s ‘Birdsong’ as it was fluff  soooo blog travels back to Scandinavia again via Miike Snow ft Lykke Li, who I love, and ‘Black Tin Box’. It’s an unusual track really and rather epic in length that seems all the rage right now.

Miike Snow isn’t a bloke that can’t spell but actually a trio of superproducers (that I’ve never heard of admittedly) Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg (aka Bloodshy and Avent) and Andrew Wyatt. You can listen here, it has something of an Andersson ‘Knifey’ charm, strong bass, whooshy space age noise and drums that remind me of something that eludes me right now (one commenter mentions Peter Gabriel) My only criticism is, there’s just not enough Lykke in there and beware if you like bands to have consistently similar sounds throughout an album, they don't. I quite like the unpredictability of it all.

An album is due out in March 27 ‘Happy to You’ via Downtown/Universal Republic and will be worth checking out.  They have also some, erm, barely recognise the original remixes of a couple of tracks from Depeche Mode’s early albums, most notably for me 1981’s Speak and Spell and ‘ Tora, Tora Tora, it’s a bit bonkers but kind of captivates for the whole seven and a half minutes.

And this gives me the perfect excuse to share this rather lovely live preview of Lykke Li doing one of the best tracks from her ‘Wounded Rhymes’ on the American music show ‘Austin City Limits’, I suppose their version of Joolz but of course, bigger. A year later her second album is still sounding good.


Lykke Li "Sadness is a Blessing" from Austin City Limits on Vimeo.





Me And My Drummer - You're a Runner (debut single) 

Another repeat listen recently has been German duo ‘Me and My Drummer’ Charlotte Brandi and Matze Prollochs with the debut single ‘You’re a Runner’, just loveliness. Charlotte’s vocal range easing over some Kate Bush or more recently Niki & the Dove style drumming really makes it in the latter half of the track. Listen below and keep an eye out for more, I will be. For peeps that like The Do, it has a similar energy.




You're A Runner by Me And My Drummer from Sinnbus on Vimeo.




Purity Ring - Lofticries/Belispeak


Purity Ring is another quite lovely boy/girl duo that started making waves last year. Although these newbies don't have any official videos yet, this Fader live clip is rather good quality. It took me a little while to pinpoint what it reminded me of, but perhaps a little obscurely and ironically as the tag themselves 'future pop', it's a lesser know Communards track 'For A Friend' from 1988.




There's just something similar in parts of the instrumentals of 'Lofticries' that capture the same melancholic air contrasting to the sometimes stark and cold electronics in the other beep laden bands. Megan James' vocals are captivating and ghostly in places along with some  percussion from band mate Corin Roddick. Ones to watch as they say...jump on the soundcloud for 'Belispeak'.


Related Posts:

Lykke Li- Wounded Rhymes- Album Review
The Do- Both Ways Open Jaws


Related Links:

http://www.miikesnow.com/
http://www.meandmydrummer.blogspot.com/
http://thepurityring.tumblr.com/
http://lykkeli.com/

2 comments:

  1. I heart you. The Miike Snow song is incredible. Before I even read your text, all I could think of was Fever Ray and Peter Gabriel. But I thought that was because I had just seen a cover band's performance of the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. Looking forward to listening to the rest of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh good and glad you like it. I agree and admit I might have missed it if I hadn't noticed the 'ft Lykke Li' bit. The label were making it hard to share at first and after searching through a million bands before finding something that stands out, that can be so frustrating. Glad it's still soundclouding.

    ReplyDelete